Project Manager and Registered Architect
Grant is a registered Architect with more than 25 years’ experience, 14 years of this leading teams in a wide range and scale of commercial, retail, industrial, healthcare and residential projects in NZ and internationally.
I started on the tools, part time building on small projects mostly for architect Stephen Jelicich (the J in Jasmax) while studying. On graduating from Auckland Uni and getting registered my work has taken me to some interesting places and unusual projects from designing mausoleums to houses to apartment buildings, an ironsand barge, a casino, one of NZ most successful retail shopping centers, Botany Town center, specialist retail including the Cock & Bull chain of pubs, a traditional Buddhist temple, a bulk cement store, Forensic psychiatric units, various healthcare projects including reviews for MOH, logistics and distribution centers for Bendon, Progressive enterprises and bonded customs facilities, data centers, prisons master planning, project peer reviews, a brewery and a desalination facility for Victoria with the largest green roof in the southern hemisphere, along the way sharing a number of awards and accolades including an NZIA award for the Onepoto footbridge. I have managed large teams in a manager and director role but also been a stay at home dad to my two sons. I am married to an academic and author and the first Maori professor of Architecture, Deidre Brown (Ngapuhi, Ngati Kahu) and am passionate about creating meaningful spaces for and of NZ.
I joined TOA to help deliver great projects for and of NZ. My role is as a project manager and architect proactively working with the TOA design team and clients, leveraging my experience.
BArch, ANZIA, Registered Architect
- 2013 AWA (Vic) Infrastructure Project Innovation Award - Victoria desalination Project Aquasure
- 2008 NZIA Auckland Architecture Awards, Urban Design Category – Onepoto Bridge
- 2006 Trends commercial design awards – highly commended Bendon international headquarters.
- 2002 New Zealand Property Council Building Awards – Excellence Award – Botany Town Centre
- 2002 New Zealand Property Council Building Awards – Merit Award – Porirua Acute Mental Health
- 2001 Retail Awards –Winner for Hospitality “Cock & Bull”
- 2001 New Zealand Property Council Building Awards - Merit Award for Regional
- Secure Extended Forensic Services – Mason Clinic - Special Purpose Building Category
- 2001 Association of Consulting Engineers of New Zealand (ACENZ) - Silver Award - Regional Secure Extended Forensic Services – Mason Clinic
- 1998 Winner limited design competition Hamilton Casino
- 1997 Winner limited design competition Auckland college of education Library – Sylvia Ashton Warner Library
- 1996 Winner Feltex Design Competition
- 1987 New-Zealand Architect Prize.
- Housing NZ – Interior Maintenance Project (70,000 houses)
- Multi-storey carpark building Tauranga.
- Silvia Ashton Warner Library extension
- Hamilton Casino
- Regional secure and forensic psychiatric facilities including Tiaho Mai, Porirua, Te Whetu Tawera, Waitakere, Waikato and Mason clinic.
- Botany Town center development.
- Hobson street apartments
- Fo Guang Shan Buddhist Temple Flatbush
- Peer review for MOH - Auckland Hospital, Southland Hospital.
- Healthcare / infrastructure projects Marshall islands
- Bulk cement store – Golden bay cement Auckland ports
- Lion brewery redevelopment Ormiston rd “the Pride”
- Onepoto foot bridge
- Rail staging facilities Auckland and Wellington.
- Cock & Bull restaurant and pub chain
- Data centers – project Orbit Datacom & project Forrester
- Logistic / warehouse/ distribution center – Bendon, International Cargo Express, Progressive enterprise.
- Master planning Waikeria prison and new admin block.
- Project Aquasure – Melbourne desalination facility Wonthagi Victoria.